A Quickies for Caregivers Sweet Snack: Ready in Twenty Minutes
The Fool is the easiest and most basic dessert in the world. It can also serve as a snack at four o’clock in the afternoon, when there’s a dip in energy and a person might want a light snack.
This combination of blueberries and blackberries is a treat for the eyes as well as for the tastebuds.
I call this version a Foolish because a Fool, the almost abandoned traditional English dessert, is properly made of a layer of fruit topped with a layer of stiff, sweet, whipped cream. If you like, you can sweeten the yogurt by stirring in a little honey.
The Foolish is made with Greek Yogurt. The infusion of protein is a boost for the metabolism.
For the Sauce
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons stevia or honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch made into a slurry with 2 tablespoons water
For The Snack
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; gently boil 10 minutes. Turn down the heat to low.
- Combine the cornstarch and cool water. Drizzle the slurry into the fruit sauce and allow to come to a simmer. Stir for three minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool until just warm. Make sure that the berry sauce has cooled about halfway, to almost room temperature before adding to the mini food processor and pulsing. Hot liquids will expand when blended and may go all over the kitchen.
- Add to the bowl of a mini food processor, pulse 3 times, then puree until smooth.
Spoon 1/4 cup yogurt into each of 2 small glass storage bowls. Top each serving with about 1/4 cup sauce. Add another quarter cup of yogurt. Add another quarter cup of sauce.
This sweet snack looks like stripes of blue-black sauce and white, and is a feast for the eyes.
Note: If fresh fruit is in season, fresh fruit may be used. If berries have seeds, such as strawberries, please run the pureed fruit sauce through a mesh sieve with a silicone spatula to remove any seeds that would be difficult for the swallow.